NOTICE: This article is for information purposes only! This article is ONLY for state laws that are DRONE specific. Local laws and “aircraft” related laws could potentially apply and were outside of the focus of this article. It might NOT be up to date. You should seek out a competent attorney licensed in the state you are interested in before operating.
Researching? I created a page on Drone Laws(federal, state, & international) and another on only US drone laws by state.
Current as of February 21, 2017
Fortunately, at the time of writing this article, there are no state level drone laws. There have been four bills have have been proposed and two that have failed. There could be drone laws at the local level which are beyond the scope of this article which is focused ONLY on state law.
The Ohio Legislature has created a Ohio aerospace and aviation technology committee.
(A) There is hereby created the Ohio aerospace and aviation technology committee, consisting of the following members:
(1) Three members of the senate, appointed by the president of the senate, not more than two of whom may be members of the same political party;
(2) Three members of the house of representatives, appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives, not more than two of whom may be members of the same political party;
(3) Fifteen members representing the aviation, aerospace, or technology industry, the military, or academia. One such member shall be appointed by the governor, and fourteen such members shall be appointed by majority vote of the six members representing the senate and house of representatives.
The legislative members of the committee shall be appointed not later than September 1, 2014, and the remaining members shall be appointed within ten days thereafter. The initial term of all members shall end on December 31, 2016. Thereafter, the term of all members shall end on the thirty-first day of December of the year following the year of appointment. Vacancies shall be filled in the manner of the original appointment.
The first legislator appointed to the committee by the speaker of the house of representatives after the effective date of H.B. 292 of the 130th general assembly shall serve as the first chairperson of the committee and shall serve until December 31, 2016. Every general assembly thereafter, the chairperson shall alternate between the first legislator appointed by the president of the senate and the first legislator appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives.
(B) The duties of the committee shall include, but are not limited to, all of the following:
(1) Studying and developing comprehensive strategies to promote the aviation, aerospace, and technology industry throughout the state, including through the commercialization of aviation, aerospace, and technology products and ideas;
(2) Encouraging communication and resource-sharing among individuals and organizations involved in the aviation, aerospace, and technology industry, including business, the military, and academia;
(3) Promoting research and development in the aviation, aerospace, and technology industry, including research and development of unmanned aerial vehicles;
(4) Providing assistance related to military base realignment and closure.
(C) The Ohio aerospace and aviation council shall serve as an advisory council to the committee.
(D) The committee shall compile an annual report of its activities, findings, and recommendations and shall furnish a copy of the report to the governor, president of the senate, and speaker of the house of representatives not later than July 1, 2015, and the first day of July of each year thereafter.
Added by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 292, §1, eff. 9/17/2014.
Prior History: (Repealed by 129th General AssemblyFile No.39, SB 171, §2, eff. 6/30/2011.)
(Effective Date: 10-24-2001 .)
Want All the State Drone Laws in a PDF?
Sign up for the drone newsletter and receive the PDF and great articles.
Latest posts by Jonathan Rupprecht (see all)
- Ultimate Guide to the Drone License So You Can Make Money - July 9, 2018
- EPIC v. FAA, Drone Advisory Committee RTCA, & more. - April 21, 2018
- Drone Insurance Guide from Attorney/Flight Instructor (2018) - April 14, 2018