Proven Authority on Drone Law.
Jonathan has made numerous media appearances on the topic of drones as a drone attorney. His legal analysis of drones has been sought after by major media networks and drone industry-specific media. Not only have the networks reached out to him for his analysis, they have cited his legal works when reporting on major drone-related stories. If you are media and are interested in interviewing Jonathan, please contact him.
He is also adjunct faculty at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University for their Unmanned Systems Legal and Regulatory Compliance course.
Proven Commercial Drone Law Experience.
One of the exemptions Jonathan filed helped one of his clients to be among the first group in the US to obtain a Part 107 waiver for night operations. This waiver allows for operations in Class G airspace throughout the entire United States till 2020. On the same day his client received the Part 107 night waiver, he took the Part 107 initial knowledge exam to validate the Part 107 Study Guide he created and passed with a 100%.
He has successfully obtained 333 exemptions, including closed-set tv/movie filming exemptions, for many of his clients. As of 12/31/2015, Rupprecht Law, P.A. was ranked second in the U.S. by the number of 333 clients. As you can see by the graph, a large majority of “drone law firms” and drone attorneys assisting commercial drone companies lack the experience needed to help you reach your goals.
Proven Manned Aviation Experience.
He is an FAA-certificated commercial pilot with single and multi-engine aircraft ratings and is also a current flight instructor for airplanes and instruments. Other drone law firms implicitly admit they don’t know aviation because they have to hire commercial pilots and flight instructors to help. Why settle for posers when an attorney who is a pilot can help you soar?
Proven Academic Excellence.
Jonathan obtained a Bachelor of Science in Professional Aeronautics from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Magna Cum Laude, and a Juris Doctor from Florida International University School of Law.
Proven Legal Author.
Prior to graduating law school, Jonathan did research on Japan’s integration of unmanned aircraft. From that research, Jonathan authored a book on the law in the United States pertaining to unmanned aircraft called Drones: Their Many Civilian Uses and the U.S. Laws Surrounding Them. This book is currently being used as a textbook at multiple universities around the U.S. as part of their UAS degree programs. He later was an adviser for one of the amicus briefs for the highly publicized Huerta v. Pirker case.
The first book led into him being requested to be a co-author on an American Bar Association book, while still in law school, called Unmanned Aircraft in the National Airspace: Critical Issues, Technology, and the Law. Jonathan wrote on administrative law, the FAA rule making process, and the special rule on unmanned aircraft.
Jonathan’s 80+ drone clients had a growing need for a drone-specific logbook which inspired Jonathan to create the Drone Operator’s Logbook. This logbook is the number one selling drone logbook on Amazon.
The chapter on the FAA rule-making process for the American Bar Association was instrumental in giving him the foundation to assist in the three Taylor v. FAA cases at the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals challenging the FAA’s drone registration regulations.
Sign up for my newsletter!
Watch this video below to find out:
- When do you need an aviation attorney?
- When do you NOT need an aviation attorney?
- What are some things a drone consultant can and cannot do?
- What are the problems with hiring a drone consultant versus an attorney?
- What other federal agencies regulate the use of drones? Isn’t it just the FAA?
PROFESSIONAL LICENSES, ACHIEVEMENTS, & MEMBERSHIPS
- FAA Commercial Pilot’s License with instrument rating for single-engine and multi-engine aircraft.
- FAA Certified Flight Instructor for Airplanes
- FAA Certified Flight Instructor for Instruments
- Aircraft Owners and Pilot’s Association
- National Business Aviation Association
- American Inns of Court, Craig S. Barnard Inn of Court Member
- Co-founder of the Unmanned Systems Legal Association
- Member of the Florida Department of Agriculture’s UAS working group
- Member of the Society of Aerial Cinematography
- Consultant for the Unmanned Systems Safety & Security Society.
- Florida Bar License
- Eagle Scout
- U.S. Federal District Court of the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Federal District Court of the Middle District of Florida
- FCC International Radio Operator