This article is continually growing as I find more and more resources for drone educators and drone flight schools. If you know of good resources (books, kits, videos, articles, etc.) PLEASE contact me and I will check them out. If it is your own product, don’t contact me. Make sure you sign up for the drone law newsletter below. I’ll be trying to send out articles with PDF handouts!
First Responder, Search & Rescue, etc.
- “First to Deploy” ebook written by Gene Robinson (Ebook)
- SAR Workshop Gene Robinson (Video)
- Using Unmanned Aerial Systems During a Natural Disaster in Texas by Coitt Kessler and Gene Robinson (Paper)
- Center for Robot-Assisted Search and Rescue (CRASAR) at Texas A&M University (Website)
- Drones in Public Safety and First Responder Operations (Paper)
Surveying & Mapping
- A Statistical Examination of Image Stitching Software Packages for use with Unmanned Aerial Systems (Digital Magazine)
- A whole bunch of videos from the 2015 ASPRS UAS Mapping Conference in Reno.
- Forensic Analysis of sUAS aka Drones – SANS DFIR Summit 2015 (Video)
- UAV Forensic Analysis – Next Gen – SANS DFIR Summit 2016 (Video)
Drone and R/C Aircraft Basics
- Flite Test created a RC Planes – Beginner Series of videos.
- RCModelReviews has a bunch of educational videos. He also has a beard and we all know people with beards are cool. Bikers, mountain men, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Need I say more? Make sure you watch them before you play them as a few have words that aren’t appropriate for certain ages.
- The Fresnel Zone explained(Video)
- 5.8GHz FPV omnidirectional antenna shootout(Video)
- What PIDs do and how they do it(Video)
- How ducting a propeller increases efficiency and thrust(Video)
- Ohm’s Law explained(Video)
- Ultra-basics: Wiring a basic FPV system(Video)
- DIY FPV diversity project (part 1)
- What’s inside: ESCs
- RC BASICS: What is KV?
- Does ESC choice affect motor power?
- Soldering basics for RC planes
- All about lipos for RC models
- Balancing your lipo battery more quickly (and how cheap chargers work)
- RC BASICS: brushless electric motors
- FPV antenna gain and range explained
- Cheerson CX-10 (I have two of these and they are totally awesome. Great for flying indoors. Super cheap.)
- FliteTest has a curriculum. I have not checked it out.