I’m going to break the Drone Legislation Directory up into two sections: passed drone legislation and proposed drone legislation.
I’m using the term very loosely to apply to laws that affect hobby/civilian drones in some way. For example, the National Defense Authorization Act of 2017 is primarily military focused but made it legal for the Secretary of Defense to shoot down civilian drones over certain locations.
I’m presently working on this article so there are gaps and missing proposed acts. I should have them all up sometime soon.
Passed Drone Legislation
- FAA Extension, Safety, and Security Act of 2016 (FESSA)
- FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (FMRA)
Proposed Drone Legislation
Most of these bills were proposed but died very shortly after being introduced.
- 21st Century AIRR Act (H.R.2997) from Rep. Shuster.
- Drone Operator Safety Act of 2017 (H.R.3644/S.1755) Senator Whitehouse & Representative Langevin
- Safe DRONE Act of 2017 (S1410) from Senator Mark Warner.
- FLIGHT R&D Act (H.R.3198 ) from Rep. Knight
- Aeronautics Innovation Act (H.R.3033) from Rep. Knight.
- Federal Aviation Administration Reauthorization Act of 2017 (S.1405 ) from Sen. Thune.
- Drone Innovation Act of 2017 (HR 2930) from Rep. Lewis
- Drone Federalism Act of 2017 (S1272) Sen. Feinstein.
- Military Asset Protection Act (H.R.1968) from Rep. Dunn
- Wildfire Airspace Protection Act of 2017 (H.R.1138) from Rep. Cook.
- Drone Aircraft Privacy and Transparency Act of 2017 (H.R.1526 ) Rep. Welch and (S631) from Sen. Markey.
- No Armed Drones Act of 2017 (HR 129) from Rep. Burgess
- National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018 (H.R.2810) from Rep. Thornberry.
- Senator Feinstein’s proposed Consumer Drone Safety Act from 2015
- Congressman Garamendi’s Safe Drone Act of 2015.
Latest posts by Jonathan Rupprecht (see all)
- Drones & FAA Modernization Reform Act of 2012 (FMRA)(PL 112–95) - February 10, 2018
- Robert Taylor v. FAA- 2nd Drone Registration Class Action Lawsuit - January 16, 2018
- Section 107.79 Voluntary surrender of certificate. (2018) - December 20, 2017